Library Support Staff Scholarships
Library Support Staff Scholarships provide opportunities for academic and research library support staff to expand their professional horizons and to update their skills and knowledge by participating in an ACRL professional development experience.
- Enhance support staff members’ abilities to provide excellent services to constituent groups
- Provide library support staff with an active, positive interaction with ACRL
- Increase participation of library support staff in ACRL professional development activities
- Increase ACRL’s efforts toward being a more inclusive organization
12 scholarships will be awarded.
- 6 will consist of complimentary registration (a $390 value) and a travel stipend of $350 to attend the ACRL 2017 conference, March 22-25, 2017 in Baltimore, MD. The total value of each scholarship is $740.
- 6 will consist of complimentary registration (a $385 value) to attend the ACRL 2017 conference, March 22-25, 2017 in Baltimore, MD. The total value of each scholarship is $385.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Currently employed in a library (excluding work study or student employment)
- Recommended by the library dean, director or supervisor
To be considered, applicants must:
- Obtain a recommendation from their dean/director/supervisor in electronic form that can be cut and pasted into the application form (not to exceed 300 words).
- Complete the online scholarship application (available May 2016). The application includes a brief description of the applicant’s job responsibilities as well as a description of how attending the ACRL conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
The award committee consists of members of the ACRL Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee will score applications based on the following:
- Responses to open-ended questions
- Dean/director/supervisor recommendation
In awarding the scholarships, preference will be given to:
- Applicants from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds
- Applicants employed at institutions or in a position to serve, under-represented groups
- Applicants employed in an academic or research library
- Applicants who are ALA or ACRL members
- Applicants who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship
The committee will strive to achieve diversity and balance among scholarship recipients and will also take into account financial need and geographical location of the applicant.
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail during the week of January 2, 2017. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2017 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until January 27, 2017 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still plan to attend.
For questions contact Tory Ondrla, ACRL Conference Supervisor.
“I was thrilled to receive a Support Staff scholarship. A few months after the ACRL Conference, I had the opportunity to apply for a new position within my library and I am happy to report that I will be serving as the new Associate Director.”Gerie Ventura