Virtual Conference Scholarships
Virtual Conference Scholarship provide opportunities for applicants to expand their professional horizons and to update their skills and knowledge by participating in the ACRL 2017 Virtual Conference.
The ACRL 2017 Virtual Conference will include live, interactive Webcasts, slidecasts of face-to-face sessions, discussion boards, audio blogs, speaker materials and more. The event will take place in a dedicated online conference community that will also serve participants attending the conference in Baltimore. This will afford unique opportunities for collaboration, learning and networking among all conference participants – both live and online. As a virtual conference participant, you won’t ever have to leave your desk!
- Enhance applicants’ ability to provide excellent services to constituent groups
- Provide applicants with an active, positive interaction with ACRL that will strengthen membership and provide applicants an opportunity to increase their network of colleagues
- Increase participation in ACRL’s online professional development activities
- Increase ACRL’s efforts toward being a more inclusive organization worldwide
5 scholarships will be awarded. Each will include complimentary registration (a $185 value) for the ACRL Virtual Conference. This scholarship provides complimentary registration for the Virtual Conference online only. There is no computer, Web connection, or technical support included.
You will need a computer system that allows for e-mail and Web browsing.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Currently employed in a library or enrolled at least part-time at an ALA-accredited institution (part-time status as defined by your institution)
- Recommended by one of the following: Dean, director, or direct supervisor for librarians or support staff. Library school dean, director, advisor or professor for library school students
To be considered, applicants must:
- Obtain a recommendation that can be cut and pasted into the application form (not to exceed 300 words).
- Complete the online scholarship application (available May 2016). The application includes a brief description of the applicant’s job responsibilities or coursework as well as a description of how participating in the ACRL Virtual Conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
The award committee consists of members of the ACRL Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee will score applications based on the following:
- Responses to open-ended questions
In awarding the scholarships, preference will be given to:
- Applicants from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds
- Applicants who are ALA or ACRL members
- Applicants employed in an academic or research library
- Applicants who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship
The committee will strive to achieve diversity and balance among scholarship recipients and will also take into account financial need of the applicant.
“This has given me new ideas on solving problems that other libraries face, such as patron engagement, issues surrounding physical and virtual usability, and most importantly, how best we can serve special and diverse populations.”Junior Tidal
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail during the week of January 2, 2017.
For questions contact Tory Ondrla, ACRL Conference Supervisor.