Spectrum Scholar Travel Grants
Purpose & Goal
ACRL Travel Grants provide opportunities for Spectrum Scholars to participate in ACRL professional development activities at the conference, to expand their network of colleagues, and to have face-to-face time to build new—or strengthen existing—relationships with their mentors, for those Scholars participating in the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program
Four (4) awards consisting of complimentary advanced early bird registration (a value of $100-$385 depending on membership type) and $600 cash for travel expenses. The application deadline is November 7, 2014 (11:59 p.m. Central Time).
- Must be a current or past recipient of an ALA Spectrum Scholarship and a first-time attendee at an ACRL conference.
- Must be a current ACRL personal member (includes student membership).
- Preference may be given to Spectrum Scholars who have applied for an academic librarianship mentor through the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program.
- Previous recipients are not eligible.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
A complete ACRL Spectrum Scholar Travel Grant Application includes three pieces: one online application and two supporting documents submitted via email. All of the following items must be submitted as described below by the deadline.
- A completed online ACRL Spectrum Scholar Travel Grant Application, including the requested personal statements and current résumé/curriculum vitae (CV).
- A Supporting Statement from a supervisor who is familiar with your work or an LIS professor/dean comment on your qualifications and how attendance at the ACRL 2015 conference will benefit you professionally and/or personally must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com. Whether sent from you or directly from the recommender, be sure your name and “Supporting Statement” appear in the email's subject line.
Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2015 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until February 13, 2015 for those do not receive a scholarship, but still want to attend.
Deadline for Submission
The deadline for receipt of the application and statement of support is November 7, 2014 (11:59 p.m. Central Time).
The ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Committee will select the recipients.
- Recipients will be selected based on their commitment to academic librarianship, their desired learning outcomes for attending the conference, their financial and professional development needs as evidenced by their responses to open-ended questions on the application form.
- The strength of their supporting statement from a supervisor or LIS professor/dean.
- Preference may be given to Spectrum Scholars who have applied for an academic librarianship mentor through the ACRL E.J. Josey Mentoring Program for Spectrum Scholars.
The four (4) recipients will be notified via email by February 1, 2015 and formally announced after they have confirmed their acceptance.
For questions contact David Connolly at firstname.lastname@example.org.