Library School Student Scholarships
To provide opportunities for library school students to participate in an ACRL professional development experience and to learn more about current issues and developments in academic and research libraries.
- Provide students with an active, positive interaction with ACRL which will strengthen their understanding of and interest in academic librarianship
- Provide students with a professional development opportunity that will assist them in building a network of colleagues
- Increase library school students' participation in ACRL professional development activities
- Increase ACRL's efforts toward being a more inclusive organization
Ten scholarships will be awarded. Each will include complimentary registration (a $100 value), and $600 stipend to attend the ACRL 2015 conference, March 25 - 28, 2015 in Portland, OR. The total value of each scholarship is $700.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Enrolled at least part-time at an ALA-accredited institution (part-time status as defined by your institution)
- Recommended by one of the following: the library school dean, director, advisor or professor
- Obtain a recommendation from their dean/director/advisor/professor in electronic form that can be cut and pasted into the application (not to exceed 300 words).
- Complete the online Library School Student Scholarship Application. The application includes a brief summary of the applicant's progress towards their degree as well as a description of how attendance at the ACRL conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
Deadline for Submission
The application deadline is Friday, November 7, 2014 (11:59 p.m. Central).
The award committee consists of members of the ACRL Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee will score applications based on the following:
- Responses to open-ended questions
- Dean/director/advisor/professor recommendation
In awarding the scholarships, preference will be given to:
- Applicants from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds
- Applicants who are ALA or ACRL members
- Applicants who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship
The committee will strive to achieve diversity and balance among scholarship recipients and will also take into account financial need and geographical location of the applicant.
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail by Febrary 2, 2015. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2015 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until February 13, 2015 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still want to attend.
For questions contact Tory Ondrla, ACRL Conference Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.