Support Staff Scholarships
To provide opportunities for academic and research library support staff to update their skills and knowledge by participating in an ACRL professional development experience.
- Enhance support staff members' abilities to provide excellent services to constituent groups
- Provide library support staff with an active, positive interaction with ACRL
- Increase participation of library support staff in ACRL professional development activities
- Increase ACRL's efforts toward being a more inclusive organization
Eight scholarships underwritten by ProQuest will be awarded. ACRL thanks ProQuest for their support of these scholarships.
- Four will consist of complimentary registration (a $380 value) and a travel stipend of $250 to attend the ACRL 2013 conference, April 10 - 13, 2013 in Indianapolis, IN. The total value of each scholarship is $630.
- Four will consist of complimentary registration (a $380 value) to attend the ACRL 2013 conference, April 10 - 13, 2013 in Indianapolis, IN. The total value of each scholarship is $380.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Currently employed in a library; preference will be given to applicants employed in an academic or research library
- Recommended by the library dean, director or supervisor
To be considered, applicants must:
- Obtain a recommendation from their dean/director/supervisor in electronic form that can be cut and pasted into the application form (not to exceed 300 words).
- Complete the online ProQuest Library Support Staff Scholarship Application. The application includes a brief description of the applicant's job responsibilities as well as a description of how attending the ACRL conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
NOTE: Only electronic submissions via the Library Support Staff Scholarship Application will be considered. The form does not allow submissions to be saved and resumed. Prepare your answers and have your recommendation obtained before starting the online application. Please double-check all your answers before pushing the ‘submit’ button.
Deadline for Submission
The application deadline is Friday, November 9, 2012 (11:59 p.m. Central).
The award committee consists of members of the ACRL Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee will strive to achieve both diversity and balance among scholarship recipients based on the following factors:
- Responses to open-ended questions on the application form
- Dean/director/supervisor recommendation
- Educational experience, background and geographical diversity
In awarding the scholarships, particular attention will be given to library staff members from diverse backgrounds and those employed at institutions or in a position to serve under-represented groups. Preference will be given to individuals who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship. Individuals may only receive one ACRL scholarship per professional development event. Preference will be given to those with 3 or more years of library support staff experience.
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail by January 31, 2013. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2013 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until February 22, 2013 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still want to attend.
For questions contact Tory Ondrla, ACRL Conference Supervisor at email@example.com.