Library Support Staff Scholarships
To provide opportunities for academic and research library support staff to update their skills and knowledge by participating in an ACRL professional development experience.
- Enhance support staff members' abilities to provide excellent services to constituent groups
- Provide library support staff with an active, positive interaction with ACRL
- Increase participation of library support staff in ACRL professional development activities
- Increase ACRL's efforts toward being a more inclusive organization
Twelve scholarships will be awarded.
- Six will consist of complimentary registration (a $385 value) and a travel stipend of $250 to attend the ACRL 2015 conference, March 25 - 28, 2015 in Portland, OR. The total value of each scholarship is $635.
- Six will consist of complimentary registration (a $385 value) to attend the ACRL 2015 conference, March 25 - 28, 2015 in Portland, OR. The total value of each scholarship is $385.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Currently employed in a library (excluding work study or student employment)
- Recommended by the library dean, director or supervisor
To be considered, applicants must:
- Obtain a recommendation from their dean/director/supervisor in electronic form that can be cut and pasted into the application form (not to exceed 300 words).
- Complete the online Library Support Staff Scholarship Application. The application includes a brief description of the applicant's job responsibilities as well as a description of how attending the ACRL conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
Deadline for Submission
The application deadline is Friday, November 7, 2014 (11:59 p.m. Central).
The award committee consists of members of the ACRL Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee will score applications based on the following:
- Responses to open-ended questions
- Dean/director/supervisor recommendation
In awarding the scholarships, preference will be given to:
- Applicants from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds
- Applicants employed at institutions or in a position to serve, under-represented groups
- Applicants employed in an academic or research library
- Applicants with 3 or more years of library support staff experience
- Applicants who are ALA or ACRL members
- Applicants who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship
The committee will strive to achieve diversity and balance among scholarship recipients and will also take into account financial need and geographical location of the applicant.
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail by February 2, 2015. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2015 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until February 13, 2015 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still want to attend.
For questions contact Tory Ondrla, ACRL Conference Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.