Mid-career Librarian Scholarships
Mid-career Librarian Scholarships provide opportunities for academic and research librarians with more than six but less than fifteen years of post-MLS experience to expand their professional horizons and to update their skills and knowledge by participating in an ACRL professional development experience.
- Enhance librarians’ ability to provide excellent services to constituent groups
- Increase participation of mid-career and minority librarians in ACRL professional development activities
- Increase ACRL’s efforts toward being a more inclusive organization
- Provide members with an active, positive interaction with ACRL that will strengthen membership retention
Approximately 25 scholarships will be awarded. Each will include complimentary registration (a $390 value), and $350 stipend to attend the ACRL 2019 conference, April 10-13, 2019 in Cleveland, OH. The total value of each scholarship is $740.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- ACRL members with more than six but less than fifteen years of post-MLS professional library experience in a librarian role (excluding work study or student work) by the application deadline
- Currently employed in a library
- Recommended by their dean, director, or immediate supervisor
To be considered, applicants must:
- Obtain a recommendation from their dean/director/supervisor in electronic form that can be cut and pasted into the application (not to exceed 300 words).
- Complete the online scholarship application (available May 2018). The application includes a brief description of the applicant’s employment history as well as a description of how attendance at the ACRL conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
The award committee consists of members of the ACRL Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee will score applications based on the following:
- Responses to open-ended questions
- Dean/director/supervisor recommendation
In awarding the scholarships, preference will be given to:
- Applicants from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds
- Applicants employed at institutions or in positions serving under-represented groups
- Applicants who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship
- Applicants from community or technical colleges
The committee will strive to achieve diversity and balance among scholarship recipients and will also take into account financial need and geographical location of the applicant.
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail during the week of December 10, 2018. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2019 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until February 8, 2019 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still plan to attend.
For questions contact Chase Ollis, ACRL Program Officer.
“The Mid-Career Librarian Scholarship that I received to attend ACRL 2017 enabled me to advance my knowledge of leadership and management practices in the field.”John Siegel, ACRL 2017 Conference Scholarship Recipient