Spectrum Scholar Travel Grants
ACRL Travel Grants provide opportunities for Spectrum Scholars to participate in ACRL professional development activities at the conference, to expand their network of colleagues, and to have face-to-face time to build new—or strengthen existing—relationships with their mentors, for those Scholars participating in the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program.
“Attending ACRL was such a rewarding experience! I was able to delve into many research communities of practice within the organization and reflect on how I can become an effective advocate within the profession. ACRL provided me with the opportunity to further cultivate and sustain connections with other librarians and develop my skillset to better serve the diverse needs of my research community.”
Alexa Carter, Research Librarian for Physical Sciences & Graduate Services, North Carolina State University
ACRL 2019 Conference Spectrum Scholar Travel Grant Recipient
Four (4) awards consisting of complimentary registration for the ACRL 2021 Virtual Conference.
Travel grant applicants must be:
- A current or past recipient of an ALA Spectrum Scholarship and a first-time attendee at an ACRL conference.
- A current library school student with an interest in academic libraries.
- A current ACRL personal member (student membership qualifies).
All of the following items must be submitted as described below by the deadline. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- A completed online scholarship application, including the requested personal statement and current résumé/curriculum vitae (CV).
- A Supporting Statement from a supervisor who is familiar with your work or an LIS professor/dean who can comment on your qualifications and how attendance at the ACRL 2021 conference will benefit you professionally and/or personally must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com. Whether sent from you or directly from the recommender, be sure your name and “Supporting Statement” appear in the email’s subject line.
The ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Committee will select the recipients based on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s commitment to academic librarianship, their desired learning outcomes for attending the conference, and their financial and professional development needs as evidenced by their application materials.
- The strength of their supporting statement from a supervisor or LIS professor/dean.
- Preference will be given to Spectrum Scholars who have applied for an academic librarianship mentor through the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program, as well as to applicants who have not received any ACRL professional scholarship in the past.
Recipients will be notified via e-mail in January 2021, and formally announced after they have confirmed their acceptance. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2021 Virtual Conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds.
For questions contact David Connolly, ACRL Staff Liaison.