Spectrum Scholar Travel Grants
ACRL Travel Grants provide opportunities for Spectrum Scholars to participate in ACRL professional development activities at the conference, to expand their network of colleagues, and to have face-to-face time to build new—or strengthen existing—relationships with their mentors, for those Scholars participating in the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program.
The scholarship application opens in May 2020! Read more about how to apply for an ACRL 2021 Spectrum scholarship below.
“Attending ACRL was such a rewarding experience! I was able to delve into many research communities of practice within the organization and reflect on how I can become an effective advocate within the profession. ACRL provided me with the opportunity to further cultivate and sustain connections with other librarians and develop my skillset to better serve the diverse needs of my research community.”
Alexa Carter, Research Librarian for Physical Sciences & Graduate Services, North Carolina State University
ACRL 2019 Conference Spectrum Scholarship Recipient
Four (4) awards consisting of complimentary advanced early bird registration (a value of $100-$390 depending on membership type) and $600 cash for travel expenses.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- A current or past recipient of an ALA Spectrum Scholarship and a first-time attendee at an ACRL conference.
- A current ACRL personal member (student membership qualifies).
Previous recipients of this ACRL conference scholarship are not eligible.
A complete ACRL Spectrum Scholar Travel Grant Application includes two pieces: one online application and a supporting statement submitted via email. All of the following items must be submitted as described below by the deadline. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- A completed online scholarship application (available May 2020), including the requested personal statements and current résumé/curriculum vitae (CV).
- A Supporting Statement from a supervisor who is familiar with your work or an LIS professor/dean comment on your qualifications and how attendance at the ACRL 2019 conference will benefit you professionally and/or personally must be emailed to email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org. Whether sent from you or directly from the recommender, be sure your name and “Supporting Statement” appear in the email’s subject line.
The ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Committee will select the recipients.
- Recipients will be selected based on their commitment to academic librarianship, their desired learning outcomes for attending the conference, their financial and professional development needs as evidenced by their responses to open-ended questions on the application form.
- The strength of their supporting statement from a supervisor or LIS professor/dean.
- Preference may be given to Spectrum Scholars who have applied for an academic librarianship mentor through the ACRL Dr. E.J. Josey Spectrum Scholar Mentor Program, at the committee’s discretion.
Recipients will be notified via e-mail in mid-December, 2020, and formally announced after they have confirmed their acceptance. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2021 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until February 2021 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still plan to attend.
For questions contact David Connolly, ACRL Staff Liaison.