Library School Student Scholarships
Library School Student Scholarships provide opportunities for any library science and/or information science students to participate in an ACRL professional development experience and to learn more about current issues and developments in academic and research libraries.
- Provide students with an active, positive interaction with ACRL which will strengthen their understanding of and interest in academic librarianship
- Provide students with a professional development opportunity that will assist them in building a network of colleagues
- Increase library school students’ participation in ACRL professional development activities
- Increase ACRL’s efforts toward being a more inclusive organization
Approximately 15 scholarships will be awarded. Each will include complimentary registration (a $100 value), and $600 stipend to attend the ACRL 2019 conference, April 10-13, 2019, in Cleveland, OH. The total value of each scholarship is $700.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Enrolled at least part-time at an ALA-accredited institution (part-time status as defined by your institution)
- Recommended by one of the following: the library school dean, director, advisor, or professor
To be considered, applicants must:
- Obtain a recommendation from their dean/director/advisor/professor in electronic form that can be cut and pasted into the application (not to exceed 300 words).
- Complete the online scholarship application (available May 2018). The application includes a brief summary of the applicant’s progress towards their degree as well as a description of how attendance at the ACRL conference will support their long-term goals (not to exceed 300 words).
The award committee consists of members of the ACRL Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee will score applications based on the following:
- Responses to open-ended questions
- Dean/director/advisor/professor recommendation
In awarding the scholarships, preference will be given to:
- Applicants from diverse cultural/ethnic backgrounds
- Applicants who are ALA or ACRL members
- Applicants who have not previously been awarded an ACRL scholarship
The committee will strive to achieve diversity and balance among scholarship recipients and will also take into account financial need and geographical location of the applicant.
Scholarship applicants will be notified via e-mail during the week of December 10, 2018. Applicants should not register for the ACRL 2019 conference until notified of their status to avoid the need for refunds. The discounted early-bird registration rate will be available until February 8, 2019 for those that may not receive a scholarship, but still plan to attend.
For questions contact Chase Ollis, ACRL Program Officer.
Scholarship applications are open!
“I was truly excited when I learned I had been selected for an ACRL 2017 student scholarship. What I did not know was how instrumental the sessions I attended in Baltimore would prove in preparing for a successful job interview two weeks later. Whether it was the opening keynote address on data visualization or a workshop on the Framework, my experiences at ACRL 2017 helped me secure my first position in the profession.”Winn W. Wasson, ACRL 2017 Conference Scholarship Recipient